There is nothing as exciting as finding treasures underground. It does not matter how old you are, finding something that is hidden under the ground is quite rewarding.
The devices used to achieve this are metal detectors. It is one of the greatest hobbies in the world and people, no matter their gender, ethnicity, race, or age, partake in it.
If you were familiar with archaeology, you would have seen them hovering over a site with a detector and hope of finding something. So, not only is it a hobby, but some people are also pursuing a career in that line.
Metal detectors are used to do lots of things. As a hobbyist, it is useful in discovering new treasures in different places like the beach, park, or even on a journey. This device is also used by security people to find a concealed weapon on people’s bodies.
Metal detectors are used in places like airports, stores, schools, and so on. Some big or governmental organizations also use it to detect someone who is carrying weapons in order to threaten other people’s lives.
Metal detecting a beginner’s guide to mastering the greatest hobby in the world
In this post, you will learn what metal detecting is all about. This hobby is widely becoming popular and lots of people are embracing it and also discovering new things for themselves. In addition, this post will list the best metal detectors you can use as a beginner.
How does a metal detector work?
It is a widely known fact that magnet attracts metals. No matter what, as long as they are within a close range, they will always attract each other. The stronger and tougher a metal detector is, the higher it detects a metal. It works just as a magnet does.
The metal detector transmits an electromagnetic field to the ground. If there is any metal in the range, it will absorb the field and recharge, using electromagnetism.
If it recharges, the object will transmit its own field responding to the metal detector. Once it responds, the metal detector starts to beep, telling the user that there is something to be uncovered at that spot.
As long as there is metal in range, its atom will change and it will get an electromagnetic field. The abrupt change in the atoms makes the metal produce its own field, which in turn, makes the detector to beep.
Reasons for metal detecting
Unless you are familiar with metal detecting, you may keep wondering why people go metal detecting. Although it is thrilling and exciting, there are different reasons why people choose it as a hobby. People have various reasons for going to detect hidden objects.
The idea of unveiling and holding something that has remained buried for a very long time can be somewhat fulfilling. Hidden objects have so many stories and history and just discovering it can be very satisfying.
If you love collecting coins, then this is a very valid hobby. It might be modern coins or colonial ones. With metal detecting, you will be able to detect so many coins for collection.
Another reason for metal detecting is the financial benefit of it. There are so many jewelries out there which are waiting to be discovered. You can even find gold, when hunting. Whatever proceeds from your hunt are solely yours to do with as you please.
Lastly, metal detecting is a very active hobby and a form to exercise your body. You can walk around, finding new discoveries and participating actively. There are so many other reasons known to people who choose it as hobby. If you love this post so far then be sure to also check out this article on 7 Stores to Buy White Metal Detector Replacement Battery
Types of metal detectors
There are four various types of metal detectors, and they can all be used for different reasons. You will have to choose the one that suits your needs and buy, as described below:
- Very Low Frequency: This type of metal detector has two coils where one is the transmitter and the other the receiver. The latter will send a magnetic field to the former and it receives the magnetic field from a metal. One of its advantages is that it sends different frequencies to different types of metals. If you want to look for silver or even gold, then this might be the right one.
- Beat-frequency Oscillation: This is mostly used in electronic stores. It is made up of a copper coil that is over a steel ring. It has two rings which are big and small. The rings have different frequencies, and make a humming sound, once a metal is discovered.
- Pulse Induction: This metal detector is mostly used for security reasons. It is used by security personnel to detect hidden weapons. It is made up of a set of coils that work together as one. P.I detector uses something called echolocation and the metal discovered will respond as a pulse.
- Industrial: Just as its name suggests, it is mostly used in industrial organizations. They are door frame detectors used in places such as airport, mall, museum, and many other big organizations. It is useful in detecting criminals who might be concealing weapons in their clothes or bags. It scans the contents of objects and whatever individuals might be hiding.
Beginner metal detector with autotune manual
Metal detectors with autotune are good for you as a beginner. They are very easy to use and navigate. You do not need any prior knowledge to start using it. Some of the recommended ones for you as a beginner are:
- Gowe Ground Metal Detector with Auto-tune and Ground Balance Adjustment: This autotune has an autotune and ground balance adjustment feature. You can buy it here on Amazon.
- Garrett AT MAX Waterproof Metal Detector: This product has enhanced the Z-Lynk pinpointer which integrates with the MS headphones to hear sounds made by the detector. It has an all-metal mode and adjustable ground balance. It is sold for $722.45. You can purchase it here on Amazon.
- Nokta Makro Simplex+ WHP Waterproof Detector with 11″ Coil & Wireless Headphones: These detectors can be submerged into water up to 10 ft (3 m). It has an iron volume and discriminated target IDs of unwanted metals. You can get it here on Amazon.
Best metal detector for beginners
- NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Junior Metal Detector (Adjustable Metal Detector for Kids with 7.5” Waterproof Dual Coil, Lightweight Design Great for Treasure Hunting Beginners): This is also a detector with adjustable sensitivity which is used to get rid of false positives. When it detects metal, it beeps and flashs LED light. It has a detecting depth of about 6 inches, and can find small coins. It also has a telescoping arm that provides length adjustment with a padded arm strap and this makes it a good choice for children. This product is sold for about $44.99, and can be obtained here on Amazon.
- Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector: This is a rugged metal detector that is adequate for searching treasures in extreme conditions. It has a 6.7kHz operating system, 2-Tone audio mode, and an all-metal mode. It is going for about $129.95. You can buy it here on Amazon.
- Metal Detector, 3 Modes Adjustable Detectors (24″-45″) (Carrying Bag and Batteries Included, Easy to Operate for Adults and Kids): This product has a very unique and distinctive audio tone. The tone varies. It can be low, medium, or high, depending on the type of metal it discovers. It has a large LCD screen to display operating mode, sensitivity level, battery level, and operating mode. This lets you differentiate between wanted and unwanted metals. It is selling for about $71.97. You can purchase it here on Amazon.
Conclusion on Metal Detecting beginner’s guide
As a beginner in metal detecting, you need to make a good purchasing choice when choosing a metal detector. The ones mentioned above have amazing reviews and great recommendations from people who have tested them.
- is metal detecting allowed in florida state parks
- Vital Things You Need to Know about Gold Purity
- 4 Best Garrett Metal Detectors for Beginners (Garrett Metal Detectors ACE 300)
- 7 Best Headphones for a Metal Detector(Headphones for Metal Detecting)
Gift is a Radiographer and Autobody parts mechanic who recently got his automotive diploma as an autobody repair technician. Gift loves everything about cars and fitness. He also loves researching and sharing his expertise and experiences with those who wants to learn more.