Last updated on December 16th, 2021 at 08:59 am
If you reading this then it is obvious you’re looking for a fun activity like roller skating you could do to help you lose belly fat and a lot many questions going through your mind such as: does roller skating help with belly fat & can skating help lose weight, or maybe you thinking, what muscles does roller skating work? How to perform roller skating for weight loss and will sweating reduce weight or is a waste of time? You may love to read this post on 5 Best Skate Shoes 2021 If any of these have troubled you then keep reading as we address and show you some of the roller skating benefits to motivate you.
Does Roller Skating Help with Belly Fat?
Roller skating is a form of aerobic exercise – a kind of exercise that involves all the body muscles. Roller skating, just like other exercises, will help you lose weight and burn fat efficiently and faster. However, roller skating does not aim at reducing just belly fat, but there will be changes around your belly as you engage in general body exercise. Related How Skating is Possible on Ice and also read this post too
The truth is roller skating and many more exercises like squats, pushups, lunges, mountain climbing, bicycle exercise, leg circles, and crunches will help you lose fat overall and that includes belly fat if you want to lose belly fat. But here is where little crunch and the food factor come into play when you are hoping to lose belly fat. You have to burn more calories than you consume.
Exercising and roller skating benefits
Generally, exercise is profitable to the body, and roller skating is a type of exercise merits you in so many ways. The benefits of exercising or roller skating benefits are as follow just to name but a few:
- Exercises prevent and manage health conditions and diseases like stroke, arthritis, depression, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
- Engaging in regular physical activity can reduce the risk of heart diseases
- It helps you boost your energy and strengthen your bones
- Reduce falls and makes you sleep well, etc.
- Roller skating will help you lose weight all-round. However, losing belly fat will require specific exercise targeted at belly fat loss. You want to also learn How to Practice Ice Skating at Home (Tricks For Beginners)
What Muscles Does Roller Skating Work
Skating is a great workout activity. It benefits the body in so many ways. However, the central part of the body primarily affected by skating is the down region: the hip abductors, hamstrings, shins, calf muscle, and quadriceps. Other muscles it also concerns in the upper part of the body are the arm and heart muscles because it pumps up your heart rate. You want to know the Type of Force is Ice Skating is performed with to better understand this.
Let’s look at the affected muscles in detail and how skating affects it.
- Hip abductors: Hip abductors are significant muscles in the body. They balance every forward step you take when you walk. As a result, they help you maintain stability when you walk. They are also known as the butt muscles. Hip abductor exercises will prevent and reduce pains in the hips and knees and activate the power. When you forward skate, you put your hip abductor to work.
- Hamstrings: Hamstrings muscles are sub-divided into biceps femoris, semitendinosus, and semimembranosus. They are the muscles in the posterior compartment of the thigh. The hamstrings muscles flex at the knee and act to extend at the hip. A Roller skating workout will reduce injury chances for the hamstrings and build your muscles.
- Calf: the calf muscle is made up of the gastrocnemius and soleus. The calf muscles are the muscles after your shin muscle. They lie on the back of the lower leg. Working on your calf will help you run faster and longer, balance your feet and ankle, and not leave your joints, especially the knee joint. Skating is an effective way to build your calf muscles.
- The quadriceps are the strongest muscle in the human body. It is translated from Latin as “four-headed.” The muscle is a group muscle consisting of four groups of muscles, namely: vastus medialis, vastus lateralis, vastus intermedium, and rectus femoris. The group of muscles is located in the front of the thigh. Roller skating workouts will strengthen the quadriceps due to the backward and forward movement of skating. Your glutes (butt) muscles also are not left out.Are Skating Rinks Open in the Summer & Are Skating Rinks Cold
Can Roller Skating Help Lose Weight
A direct answer to this question is yes. Roller skating is a workout activity, so it involves the engagement of your body in physical activity that will burn fat from your body, resulting in weight loss.
The amount of fat you burn from skating is dependent on the time you spend skating. You can burn up to 300 to 600 calories of fat in an hour if you are consistent. Roller skating is similar to jogging, as they are an aerobic exercise and are concerned with burning general body fat.
However, while skating will help you lose weight, your skating may be futile if you do not go on a calorie deficit. To lose weight from skating, you have to burn more calories than you consume. Also, you must consume foods that have low cholesterol.
Roller Skating for Weight Loss
Skating is an exceptional exercise when it comes to overall weight loss. Roller skating is fun; it’s a social game that can be done with family and friends. Aside from burning fats, skating will build and strengthen your muscles, help your coordination and flexibility, and prevent and manage certain health conditions.
To achieve weight loss by skating, you have to be consistent in the activity, set goals, practice in groups and with friends, try out different movements to help you burn more calories, and be fully involved while at it.
Nevertheless, do not forget to wear your protective gear like the helmet, knee pads, fitting skates, and wrist skates.
Skating fast will help you burn more fat because of the increased calorie consumption used while at it; the more quickly you skate, the more fat you burn. However, do not also forget about eating healthy. Your skating for weight loss will be futile if you do not eat healthy, especially low in calories.
Therefore, you must adjust your eating habit for less calorie consumption and eat foods rich in protein to build your muscle.
Will Sweating Reduce Weight or is it a Waste of Time?
Sweating during skating or any physical activity does not automatically translate to weight loss. Sweating helps our body avoids overheating. It cools the body down. When you sweat during a workout, you are exerting more energy, thereby burning more calories.
However, there are factors responsible for sweating; they include gender (men sweat more), genetics, type of activity you are involved in, body weight, weather conditions (you sweat more when it’s hot), and health conditions.
Some people who sweat more than usual might have hyperhidrosis. This is because they sweat excessively due to the over-sensitiveness of the sympathetic nerve that controls sweating. Therefore, some may sweat profusely while some may not; it does not mean that the former is losing weight.
Your weight loss journey will be fruitful if you do not give up. Roller skating is a fun exercise to try if you are thinking of a fast and effective weight loss exercise to carry out. Related Article: Are Skate Shoes Suitable For Walking and Can Skating Help you to Lose Weight
Gift is a Radiographer and Autobody parts mechanic who recently got his automotive diploma as an autobody repair technician. Gift loves everything about cars and fitness. He also loves researching and sharing his expertise and experiences with those who wants to learn more.